1st Call Training Portfolio

Download our portfolio (PDF)

Roofer caught on camera

Posted: Wednesday 9th, January 2013

Merseyside roofer caught on camera risking lives
Date: 13 December 2012

A Merseyside roofer has been fined after he allowed lives to be put at risk on the roof of a semi-detached house in Maghull.

Phillip McGinn, 38, and two other workers were photographed retiling the roof of a property on Old Race Course Road on 21 August this year without safety measures in place to prevent them falling to the ground below.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) sent an inspector to visit the site after receiving a complaint about the work from a member of the public. The inspector immediately issued a Prohibition Notice ordering the men to come down from the roof until it had been made safe.

South Sefton Magistrates' Court in Bootle was told today (13 December 2012) that scaffolding had been erected at the front of the house, but there was nothing at the side or back of the roof to stop workers falling off.

Phillip McGinn, who trades at Stormguard Roofing, pleaded guilty to a breach of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 after he failed to take measures to prevent workers being injured in a fall.

Mr McGinn, of Wynnstay Avenue in Maghull, was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £1,668 in prosecution costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Jackie Western said:

"There were several ways this work could have been carried out safely, including fitting hand rails and toe boards around the edge of the roof to prevent people falling.

"Mr McGinn put his own life and the lives of two other men at risk by allowing the work to go ahead without suitable safety measures in place. The scaffolding at the front of the building did nothing to prevent them falling off the side or back of the roof.

"I would like to thank the person who alerted us about the work as, if they hadn't, someone could have been seriously injured or even killed."

The latest figures show that 38 people died as a result of a fall in a workplace in Great Britain in 2010/11, and more than 4,000 suffered a major injury

call now