1st Call Training Portfolio

Download our portfolio (PDF)

Sentenced over forklift death

Posted: Tuesday 20th, January 2015

Recycling firm sentenced over forklift death

Date: 18 December 2014

A recycling company has been fined £180,000 after a worker was killed on his first
day at work when the forklift truck he was driving overturned.

Ian Aliski, 29, from Ellesmere Port, was using the forklift at Recresco Ltd’s glass
recycling plant in Manisty Wharf, North Road, Ellesmere Port, on 26 April 2010
when the vehicle overturned, crushing him to death.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that Mr Aliski had been hired on a temporary four-day
contract and was just a few hours into his first day when the incident happened.

Recresco Ltd was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an
investigation found that forklift truck drivers regularly had to work in an area that
was often covered in waste materials. This prevented them from turning the
vehicles safely.

On the day of the incident, Mr Aliski was moving waste material from the recycling
process – known as aggregate – from the production area to a storage shed when
the forklift truck became unstable on the uneven surface and overturned.

The court was told that Mr Aliski was not wearing a seatbelt and there was no
company policy in place to ensure seatbelts were worn.

HSE’s investigation also found that the forklift trucks in use at the plant were not
suitable for operation on uneven surfaces or over loose material such as that
found on the site.

Alternative vehicles, such as four-wheel-drive, all terrain shovel loaders, could have
been used and were already in use elsewhere on the site. Since the incident, the
company now uses these vehicles to move all the waste material on the site and it
is now company policy for seatbelts to be worn at all times in all vehicles.

Recresco Ltd, of Lane End, Urban Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottingham, was fined
£180,000 and ordered to pay £38,693 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to
a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 on 17 December 2014.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Martin Paren said:

“Ian was just a few hours into his first day at work for Recresco Ltd when this tragic
incident occurred.

“Our investigation revealed a series of failures at the plant, with forklift trucks being
used in an area that was completely unsuitable because of the uneven surface
created by waste material scattered around the floor. There was also no policy in
place for the use of seatbelts.

“Sadly it was entirely foreseeable that someone was at risk of being badly injured
or killed. If the company had taken some simple measures to reduce the risks,
such as using the all-terrain vehicles in use elsewhere on the site, then Ian’s tragic
death could have been avoided.”

call now